and Consortium-Administered Resource Sharing
A hybrid resource sharing solution allowing for traditional ILL and ILS workflow to co-exist.
SHAREit's open platform provides a tremendous advancement in the development of next generation resource sharing systems for libraries by facilitating interconnectivity of disparate systems, providing consortia the ability to simultaneously interface with multiple ILL and resource sharing systems.
SHAREit helps libraries significantly reduce the amount of time spent on managing borrowing and lending activities, greatly improving staff workflow and patron satisfaction. It supports and manages mediated ILL transactions, and mediated or unmediated patron-initiated ILL transactions. Libraries with different local automation systems can share resources with one another, regardless of their collection size or automation system. SHAREit seamlessly accommodates these disparate systems – creating a level playing field for all consortium members – and can be implemented within any one of three environments, depending on the consortium’s needs:
Physical union database
Auto-Graphics merges each consortium member’s online catalog into a single physical union catalog.
Virtual database system
Auto-Graphics enables federated searching, Z39.50 and HTTP-based searching of virtual databases and presents merged, deduplicated and sorted results.
Hybrid database system
Auto-Graphics was the first pioneer of the unique, hybrid model, which allows consortium members to contribute their records to a union database, while still allowing other members to participate using the virtual system – all within one environment.
SHAREit is fully compliant with all library standards—including NCIP, ISO ILL and IPIG profile support—SHAREit interoperates with all major resource sharing systems, including OCLC WorldCat Resource Sharing, ILLiad, Relais, VDX and the Library and Archives Canada’s ILL system (generic script).
SHAREit supports efficient request generation, fulfillment and management and offers a number of unique features:
Circulation - Interlibrary Loan Link (CILL)
- Libraries can now use the NCIP-compliant CILL module when coupled with an NCIP-based ILS system to minimize the number of steps needed to borrow and lend materials. Additionally, generic scripts can also be used with non NCIP-based ILS systems to simulate NCIP workflow.
Mediated and unmediated patron-initiated ILL requests
- Supports patron-initiated requests, offering patrons the flexibility to place and track requests either locally or from a remote location.
Open ILL requests
- SHAREit supports SIP2, NCIP and LDAP to enable remote system patron authentication to a local ILS, patron file, or the patron database. Using CILL, patrons may initiate resource sharing requests from any ILS system.
Dynamic routing of requests to an unlimited number of lenders
- SHAREit is designed to support an unlimited number of preferred trading partners and their respective lending policies.
Request fulfillment via OCLC
- SHAREit can substantially lower ILL costs by allowing libraries to send requests to OCLC only as a last resort.
- Staff can initiate multiple numbers of requests for the same title through one simple step, allowing libraries to support services such as book clubs and study groups with minimal staff involvement.
Streamlines searches for requests by request number
- The system enables staff members to search for active or completed transactions using the unique request number.